Sewn : Button Down Midi Dress

Saturday, March 11, 2017




After seeing this gorgeous dress on Sandra Semburg's blog, I wanted to recreate a similar one. I tried to find similar fabric but I could not for the life of me find any. Seriously I tried, for some reason I had the hardest time. There's lots of ivory satin fabric. There's lots of printed fabric. There is no ivory printed satin fabric! So I compromised and used solid ivory satin from Joann's.




I love the drape of the fabric but it's a beast to sew with. I don't know if all satin is like this but it frays like crazy and is super slippery. Then it gets really static-y and when you use steam to iron it, it just wrinkles more. Man why do I like it again? Oh ya, it drapes well. haha



The neckline looks wavy but it doesn't look like that in real life, I'm not sure why but it's driving me crazy. 




The pattern is Vogue V8577. I left out the skirt pocket, back yoke, and cummerband. I also added cuffed sleeves and used fabric-covered buttons. Then both the skirt and bodice are lined with white lining because the fabric is very see-through.




The buttons in the front stop mid-thigh to create a front slit, similar to the inspiration dress. However, I may add one more button because it's a bit too revealing for me. ha but I am bummed you can't see the slit at all, because without it, the dress seems to have a 60's house wife vibe and I'm not necessarily loving that.



I like it! It's super comfy and the fabric is super soft, which always makes a dress 10x better. If I made it again, I'd shorten the sleeves a bit, and add pockets. Not the original pockets on the pattern but just simple side pockets. Then I'd probably also have to make it a different color becuse I have lots of white dresses at this point. haha but I love them so I probably won't promise that part.  




Pattern: Vogue V8577 with adjustments
Fabric: Casa Sanded Satin in Ivory (Joann's)
Shoes: Red Velvet Mary Jane's (Nordstrom Rack)
Floral Crown: Foxglove Floral

18 comments:

  1. Love your dress, Haylee! So beautiful and floaty :) The backdrop is amazing too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so gorgeous! And I want to visit Utah just to take photos in the mountains haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DO IT. We can go on a road trip and I'll show you the cool places I know. :) haha for real, how fun would that be?

      Delete
  3. Love this a lot! I made a white, sleeved dress years ago, a tiny bit like this. The white linen was amazing and I wore that dress to death in Summer. You've inspired me to make another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Debbie!! I'm so flattered that it's inspired you to make another one, and I'm so glad to hear you've worn it a lot too because I hope that's the case with this one. Thanks for the really nice comment!

      Delete
  4. Love this dress...pictures and would love a dress like this if I were 40 years younger!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mom! You could totally rock a dress like this still, I want to see it! And ps thanks (as always) for taking day trips with me to take pictures and for being such an amazing photographer. :)

      Delete
  5. The dress is gorgeous! And I love your pictures!

    xx,
    Catia
    www.thepetitecat.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Catia!! Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  6. Great dress and fabulous pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! That was really sweet to say, thank you.

      Delete
  7. OMG!! You're looking gorgeous and the dress is super beautiful. Such a romantic look. And...wowwww, these views are awesome!

    Maria
    www.emerjadesign.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok Maria you are the freaking sweetest person on the planet, thank you!! Seriously thank you so much, this comment just made my day. Thanks for being so sweet about everything!

      Delete
  8. Hi Haylee,

    My name is Anuj Agarwal. I'm Founder of Feedspot.

    I would like to personally congratulate you as your blog Haylee Atkinson has been selected by our panelist as one of the Top 100 Dressmaking Blogs on the web.

    http://blog.feedspot.com/dressmaking_blogs/

    I personally give you a high-five and want to thank you for your contribution to this world. This is the most comprehensive list of Top 100 Dressmaking Blogs on the internet and I’m honored to have you as part of this!

    Also, you have the honor of displaying the badge on your blog.

    Best,
    Anuj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, thank you!! What a compliment, thanks so much. I'm excited to find out about all the other blogs too, definitely know how I'm spending the next few days. haha so many good ones to check out! Thanks again.

      Delete

Threaded All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger