Sewn : Hawaiian Print Dress

Friday, September 5, 2014


My goal this summer was to find a hawaiian print dress similar to the ones I've been seeing around.  I ironically had a family reunion in Hawaii this summer (not somewhere I typically get to go to but definitely not complaining!) so that worked out well. 




The problem was that the original dress was sleeveless and I didn't want that so I decided to shorten the dress a bit and make sleeves out of that.

But now I think it's too short so I can never win. Ah man, oh well. I did what I could do so I guess I can't have regrets. I just need to be like 5" shorter and then it would be perfect.



For the sleeves, I just used a really rough sketch of a cap sleeve pattern (same one used for this dress.) I didn't bother measuring the armhole because I knew I didn't want the sleeve to go all the way around. And It worked perfectly! Yay for laziness working to my benefit. haha



Overall I really like it. I love the double ruffle on the bottom and I love the print of the fabric. I do just wish it was longer though. I tried everything I could and really there would have been no way to get any more length aside from buying a second dress so I guess I can't have regrets. But still, kind of annoying.

And last thing, sorry to self-promote but I follow this cute girl Caitlin's blog, and she did a feature on me the other day! It made my day so I wanted to make sure to mention it.

Happy Friday everyone!

20 comments:

  1. Ah, i looove it! Wish i could buy it somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That means a lot. Actually if you're interested i'd consider selling this one! I love it but I just don't think I'm going to be able to wear it because of the length. Just let me know! :) (But honestly no pressure at all!)

      Delete
  2. Really cute! What about shortening it more and turning it into a peplum top you could wear over jeans? Or would you just wear this dress over leggings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonja that is GENIUS. Oh my gosh that is total genius, why did I not think of that. I'm so going to do that now if I keep it, thank you!! You seriously have my back girl, you always have the greatest ideas.

      Delete
  3. seriously, can you make all my clothes? this is perfect, and i'm sure perfect for your hawaii vacation

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's so cute! I feel like the easy loose shape makes the length totally acceptable! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya at least it's not tight, I should be happy about that. Thanks girl, that actually makes me feel a lot better coming from you because I respect your modesty standards. (Even though I sort of hate that term. haha) Much love girl!

      Delete
  5. I love this dress, it looks so pretty.

    Jess x
    www.jessicalaar.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh what!? Jessica how did I not know you had been blogging recently? Definitely changing that now, I got so excited to see recent posts from you!

      Delete
  6. so funny the things we like/hate about our stuff, because i think this, including the length, is perfection on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats so true Oona, that makes me feel better actually so thank you. Why do we do that!? I find that sometimes I just have to put away something I've made for a couple weeks and then once I pull it out again I forget about all the flaws I originally found in it. haha we're our own worst critics I guess! Thanks for reminding me of that :)

      Delete
  7. Aw, I love it! I am not a fan of wearing short dresses either though, so my tricks are always a matching legging, but what about doing something different... this would be way too hard for me just yet so maybe it wouldn't be appealing any ways, but could you stop it at the waist, add a solid black (or something) panel, and then sew the ruffles back onto the bottom since you like them? Sometimes the way I picture things ends up looking far better in my head though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I totally get what you're saying! I think that'd be a great idea, I'm thinking what I'll do is make a peplum top so just nix the dress idea completely because I think I'll be more likely to wear it during the upcoming Fall months that way, otherwise your idea would have been perfect! Thanks for helping me think of alternatives Sara I really appreciate.

      Delete
  8. Haylee, have you thought about a fancy slip? http://fancyslips.myshopify.com/
    Easy to make. The dress is adorable, and better with sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haylee fun to see you on that blog. I love this dress. I think I might try to buy your lacy dress...wish I could fit it...so what could I use it for? Maybe to give back to you?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I often choose to buy online some fashion beautiful dress.
    http://www.eozy.com/dresses

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this so much. I like the addition of sleeves because I don't feel comfortable in tank top dresses and think it looks way better with the little sleeves.

    ReplyDelete

Threaded All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger