Guy's Shirt

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Well a new project for me! I've never made menswear before and I can happily cross it off my list now.

 photo BluePlaidCheckeredShirtBackView_zps6867b3fc.jpg

I really like making guys clothes because the fit isn't much of an issue. You can just sort of approximate and you're good to go!

 photo BluePlaidMensButton-UpMoodFabrics_zpse8afe22d.jpg

The fabric I used is this blue/charcoal plaid coating from Mood Fabrics. It's coming up in the pictures looking a lot more ashy colored than it is in real life but oh well. It was super easy to work with and I found myself preferring it over cotton even! 
Matching up the plaids was an adventure though- an adventure I never want to do again. haha


 photo BluePlaidMensButton-UpwithPocket_zps0de0da47.jpg

Pattern-wise, I used McCall's M6044 (version B). I pretty much followed it to a tee, except for the collar I used Peter's "burrito method". Best idea ever! It turned out really well and I will definitely be doing it that way from now on.

I was also blown away with this trick to get collars pointed. Seriously, this is genius! It made the collar look so much better.

 photo BluePlaidMensShirtSleeve_zpsc47cf9c0.jpg



I'm honestly so surprised with how well this shirt ended up turning out. I kind of went into it thinking that it would either turn out looking just "ok", or one hot mess. ha so I was pleasantly surprised!

 photo BluePlaidMensShirtKC_zps102101cb.jpg



Fabric: Blue Charcoal Plaid from Mood
Pattern: McCall's M6044

23 comments:

  1. Haylee, you did such a fantastic job and any guy would be stoked to wear your shirt! looks great and i love the plaid too :) i think you gotta keep going with designing for men, you've got total flare!! happy weekend... ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn!! You always leave the most thoughtful comments ever, thanks so much. Really it means a lot. :) I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  2. This looks amazing, well done! I'm right in the middle of making my first ever men's shirts for my brothers for Christmas, and facing challenging plaid-matching, but there's something satisfying about making it work at the end :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! I feel for you though, it's so tedious and annoying at times. ha ya I definitely ended up having to make two packets after the first one was a total fail. I want to see yours when it's done though! Good luck. :)

      Delete
  3. my husband looking over my shoulder as i look at this post: "hey, new project? where did she get that shirt? i like that! " me: "she made it." husband: disbelief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lydia this comment meant soo much to me. Just to get approval from an actual guy! haha sounds lane but really this meant a lot to me, thanks for telling me that.

      Delete
  4. Nice job! It looks super professional :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! I have a unfinished shirt in the corner for months now lol oh dear. Wife of the year award

    ReplyDelete
  6. girl this is so awesome. personally i love shirts like this for myself, but i've always been more a tomboy. the shirt turned out great and you never cease to amaze me. you are freaking amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so lovely! The plaid is beautifully matched-- it's a pain in the neck to do, but it looks so nice that it's totally worth it! Great job! My husband leaves tomorrow for a week, so I'm thinking I need to take the time that he's away to make him something for Christmas. Thanks for the man-spiration, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this turned out beautifully!! Your plaid-matching is dead on! I love sewing menswear, there is something about it that is so satisfying!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are seriously so amazing. I am currently so in love with flannel button ups. So perfect for Utah winter months (:

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um, wow! I can't believe you sewed that! You did an amazing job!I was just thinking this week how my wardrobe is missing a flannel shirt! You can do so much with it and I'm looking forward to getting creative with it! I just came across your blog and I really like it!
    Kelsea
    http://www.heykelsearae.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. ok wooow, you are awesome! i will pay you to make me something. gosh, i wish i had your talent. and you are adorable. but seriously, can i pay you to make me something? all the dresses/skirts these days are too short for us married lds ladies :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just learned how to make a shirt and it does NOT look this great, but one day I'll get there.Thanks for being an inspiration. (:

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haylee you're amazing! I love the fabric too...I love flannels in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow this looks really lovely... and thanks for the link to the perfect collar points tutorial. I found this tutorial a while ago but forgot to bookmark it so coun't find it back.... you really made my day

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have just found your blog after hearing practically everything on your kollabora page! I like dressmaking but i can never find any nice patterns but now I'm like " WHERES THE FABRIC IM MAKING EVERYTHING" its all so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just was browsing around on your blog, you are incredibly talented and so beautiful! You should start an etsy shop, if you don't have one already!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Holy cow girl, you are amazing. Seriously. If I can ever sew half as well as you, I will be a happy lady (and yes I can sew already!) x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! I just stumbled across your blog and I admire every design you made! You're so talented! xx

    Linnae from LinnaeDesign

    ReplyDelete

Threaded All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger