Ok I cannot believe this dress turned out. (I feel like I've said that a lot lately.. haha story of my life.) It sure gave me one heck of a time though, that's for sure. Fitting issues, pattern issues, momma drama (she's not a fan of the back.. :), ya I've pretty much reached the point where I kind of don't want to look at another piece of this fabric again.
I do love how it turned out though. I used Simplicity 5954 for everything except the front bodice. I fell in love with this pattern after seeing it on Lara's blog, Dreamingofavonlea. I loved how she changed the zipper closure to a button closure so I decided to do mine like that as well. Thanks for the cute idea Lara!
Then I used the front bodice from Newlook 6723 because I wanted a higher neckline
since I have no boobs to balance out the low back, and then also added cap sleeves.
For fabric, I used this ivory satin from Mood. It's thick and seems to be really good quality (yet is cheap!) so I'm glad I used it. Some tips if you're going to be using it though, #1 use glass head pins instead of plastic ones. This fabric isn't very forgiving and leaves holes left by thicker pins. #2, if you're going to be gathering at all, use quilting thread. I had issues with the thread breaking on my gathering stitches. And #3, forget trying to make it look ironed because it just isn't going to happen.
Oh and I cut off 15+ inches from the skirt. 15 inches!! Guys that's like a mini person. They certainly didn't mess around in the 60s, that's for sure. Really though if you don't want a full skirt- don't use this pattern.
Here's the inspiration pic. Cute, except it was $295 dollars. No I'm not kidding, J.Crew will be the death of me I swear.
And for those that don't want to read that monster of information above,