DIY Gold Birthday Banner

Tuesday, January 29, 2013


After seeing this gold Christmas banner, I decided I wanted to make a Happy Birthday version.


I used templates to trace out my letters instead of drawing them out because I cannot draw for the life of me, so I decided I would 
include the directions along with the templates just in case anyone (as artistically challenged as me) wanted to make one for themselves.

Supplies:
• Gold glitter Cardstock. (I got mine on Amazon but I also saw some at Joann's the other day. It wasn't any cheaper though so you might just want to save yourself a trip.)
• Printer, printer paper, and template found here.
• Scissors
• Twine
• Packaging Tape
Optional (but very nice to have): paper cutter and Xacto knife (For you seamstresses out there, I actually used my rotary cutter but that probably wasn't the smartest thing to do. ha, it worked though!)

Directions:
1. Print off the template letters (here). I first tried to print them out straight onto the gold cardstock but it wouldn't feed through my printer so I had to print them onto regular paper first. You may have better luck than me though, who knows. It definitely would be easier that way so it might be worth it to try.
2. Tape each piece of paper onto each of the sheets of gold paper. (Or you could trace it, I'm just lazy and thought it'd be easier this way.)
3. Cut out the letters, making sure to cut through both sheets of paper so that you now have a letter in both white printer paper and gold cardstock. (You will need to cut out two of letters H, A, P, and Y)
4. Untape the letters from the printer paper and rearrange them to spell "Happy Birthday". Now use the packaging tape to tape each of the letters onto the twine.


5. Hang up and celebrate whoever's birthday it is!

I think this would be such a cute idea to send as part of a "Birthday in a Box" sort of thing. You could wrap it up in a cute bow and send it to someone as a far away birthday gift. That's what I was thinking I was going to do with this one, but there are like 5 people I'd want to send one to so let's be honest, that's probably not going to happen. haha oh well, still kind of a fun idea I think. 

15 comments:

  1. I'm way too lazy to do this even though I could probably manage this if I tried realllyyyy hard;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha girl, the day you stop reading at the speed of like a race horse is the day you can start calling yourself lazy.

      *Yes I realize race horses don't even read.. haha but I can't think of another gosh darn term right now!

      Delete
    2. Wait how do you know I can read so fast?? :)

      Delete
    3. Because on Goodreads you are always crossing off books! Like I swear you read 10 a week. You are amazing and I am completely jealous because I am the slowwwest reader ever.

      Delete
  2. That's so cute! I want to make a birthday in a box now as well, something I have never heard of! I hope that someones birthday is coming up now (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I know, isn't it such a cute idea? I love the balloon in a box idea I linked to especially, I just wish it didn't take up so much room! There is no way I'm paying to ship a big old box like that. ha good idea in theory though!

      Delete
  3. So cute Hay, I love it... can I be one of those people??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually really did have you in mind when I was making this. ha I don't know why, I think maybe because it reminded me of those awesome ones you and your family always make for each other. So YES! You can. :)

      Delete
  4. I think this is an awesome idea. I have a sign I use for every single birthday that comes along but it's nothing special and I love your gold and letters. Such a cute idea. I hope you keep it so I can see it in person! You are creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ang! Is it one of the ones like what Mom used to hang up? That's what made me make this one! Ours is really ghetto looking now so we were in need of a new one.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Britney! I really appreciate you saying that, it was my first tutorial ever so I really really appreciated hearing that. I ended up using one sheet for each letter because I wanted mine pretty big (so 13 pieces of paper total, actually it may have been only 12 because the "i" I think was small enough to just use scraps for). That was for 8x10 paper though- I'm honestly not sure how many you'd be able to fit on the 12x12 that I linked to above. That was the exact paper I used but when I made mine I was experimenting and cut them all to be 8x10 before I started because I originally was going to try and see if they'd go through the printer that way (DIDN'T WORK. haha so don't try that unless you want to glitterize your printer for the next 6 months.:)
      Anyways long story short, 13 sheets of paper! Good luck making it and let me know if you have any other questions.

      Delete

Google Analytics Alternative

Threaded All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger