Dress design for Shabby Apple dresses

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Shabby Apple is holding a design contest that I thought I'd take a chance at. Bare with me, I'm a novice at drawing. But if you know me well at all, you know that I can't not enter a contest.




My first dress. The fabric would be knit with a color block design palette. The skirt and bow would be either mustard yellow or gray. (Which color palette do you like better?) and the top would have navy blue stripes with ruched sleeves. The back neckline of the dress would have a slight V-neck, but not to low so it would still fit Shabby Apple's design standards.





For my second dress, I kind of struggled with putting my design down on paper. The sketch isn't my favorite but hopefully my idea will still show through. I wanted the dress to be really feminine looking. I love the idea of texture so I pictured the ruffles to be made of all sorts of fabrics. (lace, chiffon or silk chiffon, tulle, and satin). It would have 5 or 6 ruffles, each about 1 to 2 inches in length. 
This dress would gather a bit lower than the natural waist and the top would have an asymmetrical neckline. I'd want a stiffer fabric for the top as well, maybe cotton or polyester. Some sort of sturdier fabric to balance out the softness of the bottom. The colors would be creamy and soft. White, off-white, beige, cream, ivory and pale pink. 

This dress was inspired by a dance dress I wore last year. It's similar, but I wanted to leave out the things I didn't like about that dress and keep the things that I did. I wanted to go for more feminine colors instead of earthy tones and I wanted to make the top of the dress more interesting by adding an asymmetrical neckline. I also wanted to add all different kinds of fabric for the ruffles as compared to just cotton and lace.


Wish me luck!


**Disclaimer** In order to enter the contest, you had to post your designs and inspiration on your blog. No, I wouldn't normally show you my attempts at entering a design contest, haha. So don't think it's because I'm super confident in my entry.. it's not. :)

22 comments:

  1. I love both of them. Of course, I am your mother but i also think you have great taste and i think I can see both of these dresses and they would be feminine and so cute. Very good designing I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of those are darling, I would wear them! I love your drawings too! Good Luck!

    Best Wishes,
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing!
    I would never think that you would boast about your personal designs but I loved seeing them you have an amazing ability to place fabrics and colors together. I'm glad Shabby Apple required you to show your designs because if they didn't I wouldn't know which dress to buy when you won ;)
    -
    Mikayla

    ReplyDelete
  4. they both look amazing! i'd totally wear them. great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. woww! i just stumbled over to your blog and you are so talented! i love your designs, can't wait to see how they turn out!

    dailyeday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love both of your designs, especially the first one (the color combo is amazing). Good luck with your entry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are both amazing designs!! Good luck :) Love your blog btw, it's so cute and creative x

    www.stephsstoryemporium.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blue and yellow? Are you serious, I love it! I've been waiting to see someone who was going to use those colors. You're ideas are beautiful, best of luck.

    Thank you for the comment on my Hunger Games post, i'm glad i'm not the only one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. They both looks great! I esp. love the first one! &they fit perfectly into what Shabby Apple's line looks like, yah know?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love both of these dresses and they seem like they'd belong on the Shabby Apple site if I was just browsing! (Also I love that blue with the mustard yellow. it's different but so cute!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love your designs!! good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love them! Crossing my fingers for you- I'd totally wear both of the dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  13. once upon a time i used to sew... and this makes me want to sew again. i hope you do well. you are adorable by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did an amazing job! Love your designs...I would definitely wear them :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. these are wonderful! i especially like the second one.
    i thought about entering this contest, and even designed a couple dresses, but chickened out! way to be brave!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahh, you're amazing. I love the first one; I would definitely wear it in a heart beat!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is awesome! Both of these are super cute. I have a crafty/sewing side too and I've been neglecting it...can't wait for inspiration again. :)

    xo,
    kate

    www.undeniablestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. how fun! i love your inspiration boards!
    j.

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh wow, these are both beautiful! I love the first one, I would wear it in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  20. OK kiddo...you posted on my blog and so i had to check you out! :). What an awesome person you are and a creative genius! How would you feel about making me a dress for some cashola? I'm TOTALLY serious. Send me an email! My links at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, those are so beautiful and I, for one, would most certainly wear them!!! Modesty and Fashion are the best two mixes in the world!!! Good Luck!!!

    ReplyDelete

Threaded All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger